[Fwd: [IP] Japan facing bandwidth shortage due to take-up in broadband]

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Thu Jun 10 01:12:08 UTC 2004

>> With the current facilities as they are, a simple calculation shows
>> that
>> actual communications traffic will exceed the backbone's maximum
>> capacity as
>> soon as five years from now.
>
> Since when is this is a good indicator? If we ignore any of the growth
> in facility capacity in the last 5 years, wouldn't we all be in
> capacity -plus situations right now? I know we are moving more than
> our total capacity from 5 years ago.

I suggest that folks re-read and heed the words of Sage Bush.  This
announcement is simply official marketing
to support a few facts:  a) the government is officially acknowledging
the exponential growth of the Internet,
something that all here understood long ago, b) the government is now
supporting the development of a router
in Japan and this is the rationale for them to provide governmental
support for the 'lucrative' core router
market.

Tony