Pesky spammers are using my mailbox

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sat May 31 18:47:16 UTC 2003

jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> I and a number of coworkers are getting similar bounces, except the
> spammers are actually using our full email addresses as the from address.
> The first few cases of this, I wrote off to things like KLEZ...but
> recently I've gotten actual spam bounces where my work email address was
> the original from.
>
> I suppose it could possibly still be something like KLEZ and it's grabbing
> a spam from their inbox and sending that out with a forged from.

A good section of my users get User unknown bounces from the AOL servers
where spammers are using their spam lists not only as recipients, but to
spoof senders. Most of the time, it's just two or three per user. There
are cases where the remote server has to be contacted reguarding the
bounces to request that bounce handling for the domain be turned off.

-Jack