Pesky spammers are using my mailbox

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sat May 31 18:45:49 UTC 2003

At 02:39 PM 5/31/2003, you wrote:

>On Sat, 31 May 2003, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
>
> >  seems some spammers are using one of my personal domains as the from
> > field in their emails, the local-part being random so I cant easily
> > block it.
> >
> > Has anyone any advice on tracking them down and making them stop?
>
>Tactical baseball bat at close range? :)
>
>I and a number of coworkers are getting similar bounces, except the
>spammers are actually using our full email addresses as the from address.
>The first few cases of this, I wrote off to things like KLEZ...but
>recently I've gotten actual spam bounces where my work email address was
>the original from.
>
>I suppose it could possibly still be something like KLEZ and it's grabbing
>a spam from their inbox and sending that out with a forged from.

There are known spamming viruses making their rounds that I believe behave
like klez and others that use known email addresses. A couple of our
customers have been infected by them and have had their computers
unknowingly sending out spam.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.