Stealth Blocking

Margie Arbon margie at mail-abuse.org
Wed May 23 22:47:59 UTC 2001

--On Wednesday, May 23, 2001 4:04 PM -0400 Robert Sharp
<rsharp at appliedtheory.com> wrote:

> I infact installed MAPS to see if it helped the
> problem.  It did not because the user didn't run an open relay site
> but rather a no confirmation email list.  Would I be correct to
> assume they should be in the MAPS list too?

They would be eligible for listing on the RBL per
http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/candidacy.html.

>As you can see sometime
> spam/annoying emails is not always sent throught an open relay but
> sometimes it's a problem with mailing lists.....  What should maps
> do, start adding sites that act like this?

When we receive a valid and actionable nomination per the requirements
of http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/reporting.html, it is investigated and
handled according to procedures.  If the entity is unable or unwilling
to rectify the situation that allows them to continue to send
unsolicited e-mail, they *do* get added to the RBL.

What we don't do is add them to the RSS.  That's for open, single
stage, abused relays.  We haven't been escalating those to the RBL for
the better part of a year.  Multi-hop open abused relays are still
eligible for listing on the RBL.

> I am just making the point that if MAPS wasn't run by one person with
> total control maybe some of us "retards who don't know what we are
> doing" would be a bit more will to support the effort.

Well, since MAPS *isn't* run one person with total control but rather a
good sized staff of folks that have various responsiblilties for
receiving, assessing, investigating and recommending listings or
otherwise resolving the nominations for our various lists, does this
mean you are going to be supporting the effort?

You might want to read
http://mail-abuse.org/articles/dmnews.2000-11-13.11536.html.  I think
you are a bit misinformed.

Margie Arbon                   Mail Abuse Prevention System, LLC
Manager, Market and Business Development
margie at mail-abuse.org          http://mail-abuse.org