From Microsoft's site

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jan 25 07:22:29 UTC 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:37:58 EST, jlewis at lewis.org said:
> > Their management should be real embarrassed to take so long to back out the
> > last-change.
>
> Somebody bitched a router config, and it took 22.5 hours to figure it out?

Umm.. let's think more carefully here.

A major *MAJOR* player is changing a config *during prime time*?

Hell, we're not that big, and we get 3AM-7AM local.  ANything else is
emergency-only.

So we'll assume that the *real* timeline was:

5PM something *else* melts
6:30PM change a config to stop THAT emergency
6:45PM notice you've scrogged it up

<next 19 hours> try to decide which is worse, the DNS being screwed
but your *local* operations are back online using local private
secondaries, or DNS being OK but whatever was loose trashing the
corporate backbone?  Meanwhile, your OTHER set of network monkeys is
busy fighting whatever fire melted stuff to start with...

<META MODE="so totally hypothetical we won't even GO there...">
They'd not be the first organization this week that had to make an
emergency router config change because Ramen multicasting was melting their
routers, or the first to not get it right on the first try.

They'd merely be the ones thinking hardest how to put the right spin on it...
</META>`

I have *NO* evidence that Ramen was the actual cause other than it's this
week's problem. However, I'm pretty sure that *whatever* happened,
the poor router tech was *already* having a Very Bad Day before he ever
GOT to the part where he changed the config.....

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech