NSI policy on lame delagations

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Sat Nov 21 19:00:30 UTC 1998

I submit that this is a process issue. There is a manual process as well as
an automated one. The two of them have to coordinate. The problem is that
part of the process is non-deterministic and is thus very difficult to
automate. Until someone definitively solves the non-deterministic part
there will always be some uncertainty in the domain name
submission/approval process. This can be largely countered by proper
education, by the ISP, of the Domain Name requestor. Basically, lag times
need to be considered on both sides of the issue. The requestor can't
consider their domain, as theirs, until they get confirmation, from the
registrar. Conversely, the reqistrar can't require there to be existing
name servers until the requestor has recieved confirmation of the domain
name. I submit that it is incumbent on the requestor to inform the
registrar when such servers are ready, this is a process step that is not
included in the current process. At such time, the registrar can then
reasonably expect the new name servers to be running and perform the
process-step of fully activating the domain.

At 04:40 AM 11/21/98 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> there should be no lame delegations.
>> Agreed.  However, testing sometime after registration (as they seem to be
>> doing) is much more user friendly than testing before registration.
>
>depends to which user you are trying to be friendly.  there is a clear
>responsibility to the internet at large.
>
>there should be no lame delegations.
>
>> The reason I say this is that some folks automatically reload their
>> nameservers which have tens of thousands of domain names once a day and
>> have clients that want domains registered on the same day they request
>> them.  (queuing is not an option.)
>
>if they intend to serve those clients, as opposed to pretending to do so,
>then they should load thier servers when they are pretending to do so.
>
>randy

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/