NSI policy on lame delagations

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Sun Nov 22 05:04:44 UTC 1998

On Sat, Nov 21, 1998 at 05:18:27PM -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
>
> > > On the other hand, maybe there is another solution. Don't put all your
> > > eggs in one basket. Run at least two nameservers.
> >
> > This is a no-brainer.
> >
> > 1. If you're running only a primary and no secondaries, your DNS is an
> > accident waiting to happen.
>
> Guess I should have said "run at least two sets of nameservers, i.e. two
> primaries and two secondaries. One set for recent additions... etc.".

I am of the opinion that you should have one or two nameservers on site and
work out something with another ISP in another physical location, hanging
off a different backbone, to also use their nameservers. (A lot of people
will do secondaries at no charge, especially if you work out a reciprocal
agreement with them).

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol at nacs.net]
Part-time Support Droid [support at nacs.net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."