NSI policy on lame delagations

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Sat Nov 21 17:53:47 UTC 1998

On Sat, Nov 21, 1998 at 12:25:32AM -0800, Mike Leber wrote:
> The reason I say this is that some folks automatically reload their
> nameservers which have tens of thousands of domain names once a day and
> have clients that want domains registered on the same day they request
> them.  (queuing is not an option.)

Ok, so here's the stupid question of the month (and I ask this with all
due regard for the time and effort Paul has put into BIND)...

Given (for example) PostGreSQL, is there any reason why someone hasn't
ported the algorithms of BIND on top of something like it?  It seems to
me that it ought to be possible to keep a nameserver running whilst one
is doing maintenance on it...

(and PS: I realize that the answer to this may amount to Nameserver
101; if you think so, respond privately; I'll summarize to any one who
cares...)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592