NANOG Mailing List

Peter E. Giza giza at cheops.mv.com
Sat May 31 16:23:10 UTC 1997

William B. Norton wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I would like to ask that we all take a deep breath and refrain from the
> attacks, retaliations from attacks, and the subsequent comments on the
> attacks.  This will  not likely lead to anything good.
>
> It seems to me that we have an issue about the appropriate use of the NANOG
> mailing list forum. I would like to suggest that during the open session
> Friday afternoon we spawn a small group to draft a nanog mailing list AUP,
> and perhaps draft a charter for a couple of new nanog-XXX lists.  We can
> then post the document to the nanog list(s) and implement the policy.
>
> Bill
> William B. Norton       <wbn at merit.edu>         (313) 764-9430

sounds like the most reasonable thing I've heard of yet.  at 7:30 AM
Wednesday
I left for the Valley, at 4:30 PM I returned to NH.  In that 72 hour
period I
received 277 email messages.  198 were from nanog, 20 from ietf-coredb,
27 from
my own org, and 31 from misc.  out of the 198 from nanog, most was
drivel and
response to drivel.  if this were fm radio i'd say nanogs' deviation is
at 40%.
simply put, don't reply to the drivel and it will eventually go away.

-pete

--/ My own $0.02 which doesn't reflect any opinion of my employer or
necessarily rational ;)