Is this just a rumor?

Robert T. Nelson rnelson at internoc.com
Tue Aug 26 18:54:25 UTC 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, J.D. Falk wrote:

> On Aug 26, Lincoln Silver <lsilver at flycast.com> wrote:
>
> > I heard a rumor that the InterNic is no longer going to make contact
> > information public. Is this true? If I do a "whois," will I no longer
> > get contact info? Can someone shed light on this rumor?
>
> 	I didn't hear anything like that from the various NSI
> 	folks at ISPCON; doesn't mean it isn't true, but I'd
> 	say it's unlikely.

Whois info is available, but not in quantity. It appears that InterNIC
will cut connections after dumping too much data out from the same host in
"X" period of time. I have not 100% confirmed this, but tests seem to show
it.

> 	More likely, this is a misunderstanding of what they
> 	/did/ do, which is stop making the zone files for .COM,
> 	.NET, and .ORG anonymously FTP'able.

Nor are they axfr-able from anything but F.root-servers.net.

> 	If you can prove you've got a good reason to FTP 'em,
> 	they'll give you a login and password; I know of a few
> 	people who've done it already.

And sign an NDA....

Robert Nelson
President, INTERNOC(tm)