MAE-East still no generator

Patrick J. Chicas pjc at off-road.com
Sun Sep 8 06:34:06 UTC 1996

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Stephen Stuart wrote:

> If reliable power is not considered an essential part of facility
> infrastructure, how would you suggest that tenants get it? I think
> that the incident at the WilTel POP in Santa Clara, CA, is sufficient
> to prove that having individual tenants each supply their own
> (typically small) UPS is a Bad Thing - the power was out long enough
> to drain them to zero, furthermore (this part I have second hand) some
> of them didn't take well to being flatlined like that. If everyone
> were left to solve that problem on their own ... well, imagine
> everyone jockeying to park their trailer-mounted portable generator
> near the door. Yow.
>
> Do you feel the same way about air conditioning? Security?

With telecomm dereg as life, GTE Mobilnet in Hawaii is now selling co-lo
space.

We supply battery backed DC, battery fed - inverted DC to AC,
all backed by a cat diesel generator. AirCon is fault tolerant as well.
We supply locked cabinets or cages. We install your equipment (power
connections etc.), you turn it up. We have UNIX and IP literate
people with Bay, Cisco, BSDI, NT, USR TC, Ascend and Solaris experience
on premise and, avail 24x7. GTE.net just co-lo'd their Hub for
Hawaii, soon to be a NAP per their plans. Three other medium to
large ISP's are there as well.

Cheers

 Patrick J. Chicas
 Email: pjc at off-road.com