MAE-East still no generator

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Sun Sep 8 13:01:41 UTC 1996

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Alan Hannan wrote:

>   Howdy,
>
>   To stay in the tradition of the NANOG mailing list, I will take
>   this subject a bit off topic.  :-)
>
>   The common American household and business operates on Alternating
>   Current mainly because of distance.
>
>   Over long distances, Alternating Current loses less energy in
>   transferring energy than Direct Current.  For proof, imagine the
>   energy actually moving from point a -> point b (as in DC) or
>   moving back and forth in millions of sets between points a and b.
>   (and not moving as far) (as in AC).

I don't think so. AC is not very good for distance. When you have a AC
sine wave you also get reverse EMF that distorts the signal. AC is like
VHS it was at the masses first. DC like BETA works better, though if you
use DC you would have a lot more deaths because AC is a little easier to
take if you touch the wire at high currents.

>   So, I think it's then important to question why telcos prefer to
>   use DC power.  DC power provides a smooth, less dynamic power source
>   than does AC.  W/ DC power you receive a constant flow of power,
>   where w/ AC, the "sine" wave isn't, and the powered devices
>   requires more capacitators and more engineering to use the
>   energy.  As well, backing up the equipment at remote (ruralish)
>   facilities is relatively cheaper w/ DC than w/ AC.
>
>   Now, back to the topic a bit.
>
>   Certainly it would be reprehensible if the MAE-E core
>   infrastructure (that which MFS owns/runs) wasn't backed up.
>   However, I believe it is.
>
>   I do not believe that it is the responsibility of MFS to provide
>   power to individual's equipment that is co-located at the site.

I think it is. When you buy space at DEC they don't day well don't forget
your APC because we don't have backed AC power or even a generator.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34