MAE-East still no generator

Stephen Stuart stuart at pa.dec.com
Sun Sep 8 17:53:47 UTC 1996

> On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Avi Freedman wrote:
>
> > it to 110vac?  If not, we're probably going to have to build our own
> > battery rack and/or stick a generator on the roof at one of our MFS
> > colo sites.
>
> Interesting enough, many fire departments won't allow roof mounted
> generators anymore because storing fuel along with it is considered
> hazardous.  We had an awful time getting our 250 kw generator installed
> and ended up with it on the ground level next to the parking garage
> with an integral fuel storage tank; it was the easiest to get permitted.

We solved that as PAIX by having the main fuel tank in the basement,
in a steel-reinforced cinder-block vault, with a "day tank" up on the
roof; a redundant pair of pumps draw fuel from the basement up to the
roof. The fire department liked it because there wasn't too much fuel
on the roof, and the (whatever that other department was) liked it
because the generator was on the roof (and the noise at ground level
wouldn't be too great during weekly tests).

Stephen