Stealthy Overlay Network Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Fri Jan 12 20:06:32 UTC 2024

> You don't need everything in the world to support it, just the things
> "you" use.

You run an ISP, let me posit something.

Stipulate your entire network infra, services, and applications support
240/4, and that it's approved for global , public use tomorrow. Some
company gets a block in there, stands up some website. Here are some
absolutely plausible scenarios that you might have to deal with.

- Some of your customers are running operating systems / network gear that
doesn't support 240/4.
- Some of your customers may be using 3rd party DNS resolvers that don't
support 240/4.
- Some network in between you and the dest missed a few bogon ACLs ,
dropping your customer's traffic.

All of this becomes support issues you have to deal with.