IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Feb 16 01:43:29 UTC 2024

It appears that Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> said:
>Several people in NANOG have opined that there are a number of mail
>servers on the Internet operating with IPv6 addresses.  OK.  I have a
>mail server, which has been on the Internet for decades.  On IPv4.
>
>For the last four years, every attempt to get a PTR record in ip6.arpa
>from my ISP has been rejected, usually with a nasty dismissive.

I don't think you'll get much disagreement that AT&T is not a great ISP.

One straightforward workaround is to get an IPv6 tunnel from
Hurricane. It's free, it works, and they will delegate the rDNS
anywhere you want. My local ISP doesn't do IPv6 at all (they're a
rural phone company who of course say you are the only person who's
ever asked) so until they do, HE is a quite adequate option.

R's,
John