IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Feb 15 20:09:53 UTC 2024

Well all that shows is that your ISP  is obstructionist. If they can can enter a PTR record or delegate the reverse range to you for your IPv4 server they can do it for your IPv6 addresses. In most cases it is actually easier as address space is assigned on nibble boundaries (/48, /52, /56, /60, :64) so there isn’t a need to do multiple delegations and RFC2317 style “delegations” aren’t needed in IPv6. If there is a non nibble assignment just do multiple sequential delegations (2, 4 or 8).

It isn’t hard to type the reverse prefix into a zone then ns then the name of a server, bump the serial and reload it.

e.g.

e.b.c.2.6.0.7.d.0.2.2.2.ip6.arpa. ns ns1.example.com.

Good luck.

--
Mark Andrews