IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

Justin Streiner streinerj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 05:40:04 UTC 2024

The Internet edge and core portion of deploying IPv6 - dual-stack or
otherwise - is fairly easy. I led efforts to do this at a large .edu
starting in 2010/11.  The biggest hurdles are/were/might still be:
1. Coming up with a good address plan that will do what you want and scale
as needed.  It should also be flexible enough to accommodate re-writes if
you think of something that needs to be added/changed down the road :)
2. For providers who run older kit, v6 support might still be a bit dodgy.
You might also run into things like TCAM exhaustion, neighbor table
exhaustion, etc.  The point at which box X tips over is often not well
defined and depends on your use case and configuration.
3. The last time I checked, v6 support in firewalls and other middle-mile
devices was still poor.  Hopefully that has gotten better in the last 6-7
years.  My current day job doesn't have me touching firewalls, so I haven't
kept up on developments here.  I recall coming up with a base firewall
ruleset for Cisco ASAs to balance security with the functionality v6 needs
to work correctly.  Hopefully firewall vendors have gotten better about
building templates to handle some of the heavy lifting.
4. Getting people to unlearn the "NAT=Security" mindset that we were forced
to accept in the v4 world.

Thank you
jms