The Reg does 240/4

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 15 15:45:20 UTC 2024

> On Feb 14, 2024, at 18:25, Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> wrote:
>
> On 2/14/24 4:23 PM, Tom Samplonius wrote:
>> The best option is what is happening right now:  you can’t get new IPv4
>> addresses, so you have to either buy them, or use IPv6.  The free market
>>  is solving the problem right now.  Another solution isn’t needed.
>
> Really?  How many mail servers are up on IPv6?  How many legacy mail clients can handle IPv6?  How many MTA software packages can handle IPv6 today "right out of the box" without specific configuration?

Quite a few, actually. About 40% of my email comes and goes via IPv6.

Sendai, postfix, outlook, and several others all handle IPv6 without need for any more IPv6 specific configuration than is required for IPv4.

> Does any IPv6 enabled ISP provide PTR records for mail servers?

Yes. Most of the transit providers I deal with offer ip6.arpa delegation at least. You can either stand up your own NS or use any of a variety of free DNS providers to host that delegation.

> How does Google handle mail from an IPv6 server?

So far I’ve had no issues exchanging mail with Google, Yahoo, or MSN (former Hotmail) on IPv6.

> The Internet is not just the Web.

True. Guess what… SSH, VNC, SMTP, IMAP, and many other things are working just fine on IPv6.

IPv6 isn’t just the web either. IPv6 is the modern internet.

Owen