Picking a RIR/obtaining an AS/ressurrecting a legacy space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 6 17:02:54 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 8:03 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> https://bgpview.io/prefix/198.177.242.0/24

This is registered to Thyrsus Enterprises via ARIN, managed by an Eric
Raymond of Pennsylvania. Refer to
https://search.arin.net/rdap/?query=198.177.242.0

If your friend happens to be Eric Raymond, his best bet is to simply
leave it alone as a legacy address under his control rather than try
to prove himself the legal successor in interest to Thyrsus
Enterprises. As long as there is no current Thyrsus Enterprises, and
as the guy on the whois, he'll be able to submit an LOA to an ISP and
get them to accept the route.

If your friend isn't Eric Raymond or Thyrsus Enterprises still exists
and is someone else... you're done. Save yourself some grief and just
go to an address broker. Let them help you through the process of
getting addresses.

> https://bgpview.io/prefix/198.177.243.0/24

This is registered to Chester County Freenet care of Chester County
Hospital. Refer to https://search.arin.net/rdap/?query=198.177.243.0

Raymond again controls it, but since he's neither the Freenet nor the
hospital you're going to run into trouble getting it routed let alone
getting ARIN to recognize you as the legal successor in interest.

> the whole /22 was obtained to support the (long since deceased)
> chester county freenet, but he has no record of that. Neither does
> anyone else.

Those would form a /22 with 240 and 241. Both are registered to other
people. Unclear why you thought otherwise. If you were thinking 244
and 245 (which do not form a /22 with 242 and 243), I'm sorry to tell
you that they're also registered to someone else.

> I presently have one vote for ARIN and another for RIPE. We are us
> based, but more of the folk using libreqos are located elsewhere.

The addresses are registered at ARIN. Until ARIN recognizes your
friend as the registrant organization, they will remain so. At which
point there's not a lot of benefit to moving them.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin