Picking a RIR/obtaining an AS/ressurrecting a legacy space

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 15:03:11 UTC 2023

Fixing the ausnog cc... more below.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 8:46 AM Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> The ASN really isn’t a big deal.  There’s no scarcity of them, you can get a 16-bit one by asking.

Heh. Trying to reaquire my old 16 bit AS number is merely a matter of
vanity... just navigating through the modern processes to become real
again in some fashion the larger problem. I remember how much I
resented faxing allocations way back when, modern processes seem
worse!

> The legacy IPv4 space, well, if there’s a clear chain of custody to the current holder, and the current holder is responsive, they can use it or transfer it.  But also, IPv4 space isn’t scarce…  it just costs money, now, to buy.

The holder has a clear chain of custody for the bottom two /24s

https://bgpview.io/prefix/198.177.242.0/24
https://bgpview.io/prefix/198.177.243.0/24

But the whole /22 was obtained to support the (long since deceased)
chester county freenet, but he has no record of that. Neither does
anyone else. The most ideal outcome is we get a /22 out of this, a
less ideal but still nice would be to have the upper pool released to
someone.

Eric is willing to loan his IPs to our good cause if we can clear it
up but wants to reserve his rights to actually sell them at some point
in the future.

> If you’re in the US, just use ARIN.  ARIN’s processes aren’t arcane, particularly compared with RIPE, and fees are predictable and relatively low.

I presently have one vote for ARIN and another for RIPE. We are us
based, but more of the folk using libreqos are located elsewhere.