Picking a RIR/obtaining an AS/ressurrecting a legacy space

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:14:46 UTC 2023

thank you for your research into this on our behalf and the steer to
the right things.

Yes, these two ip address ranges are erics, and if anything he´s more
allergic to paperwork than I am.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 11:03 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 8:03 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > https://bgpview.io/prefix/198.177.242.0/24
>
> This is registered to Thyrsus Enterprises via ARIN, managed by an Eric
> Raymond of Pennsylvania. Refer to
> https://search.arin.net/rdap/?query=198.177.242.0
>
> If your friend happens to be Eric Raymond, his best bet is to simply
> leave it alone as a legacy address under his control rather than try
> to prove himself the legal successor in interest to Thyrsus
> Enterprises. As long as there is no current Thyrsus Enterprises, and
> as the guy on the whois, he'll be able to submit an LOA to an ISP and
> get them to accept the route.

Cool. That seems way simpler than the other alternatives running though my head.

> If your friend isn't Eric Raymond or Thyrsus Enterprises still exists
> and is someone else... you're done. Save yourself some grief and just
> go to an address broker. Let them help you through the process of
> getting addresses.
>

> > https://bgpview.io/prefix/198.177.243.0/24
>
> This is registered to Chester County Freenet care of Chester County
> Hospital. Refer to https://search.arin.net/rdap/?query=198.177.243.0
>
> Raymond again controls it, but since he's neither the Freenet nor the
> hospital you're going to run into trouble getting it routed let alone
> getting ARIN to recognize you as the legal successor in interest.

I do not know the history here, I will ask.

> > the whole /22 was obtained to support the (long since deceased)
> > chester county freenet, but he has no record of that. Neither does
> > anyone else.
>
> Those would form a /22 with 240 and 241. Both are registered to other
> people. Unclear why you thought otherwise. If you were thinking 244
> and 245 (which do not form a /22 with 242 and 243), I'm sorry to tell
> you that they're also registered to someone else.

OK, good to know, that you for straightening this out a bit.

--
Podcast: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7058793910227111937/
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos