eBay is looking for network heavies...

Alex White-Robinson alexwr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 04:46:24 UTC 2015

Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

> On a slightly different note, however--while it's good to
> have an appreciation of the past and how we got here,
> I think it's wise to also recognize we as an industry
> have some challenges bringing new blood in--and
> treating it too much like a sacred priesthood with
> cabalistic knowledge and initiation rites isn't going
> to help us bring new engineers into the field to
> take over for us crusty old farts when our eyes
> give out and we can't type into our 9600 baud
> serial consoles anymore.
>
> Matt
> CCOF #1999322002 [0]

I've seen very little attention paid to junior talent in the last few
years, and know a few people who would have been talented engineers that
never got a chance to show it.
They moved into other industries because of the lack of junior roles.

I know very few people in network engineering that are under thirty, and
not that many under thirty five.