unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 20 03:00:09 UTC 2011

In message <4DFEAEF6.70407 at mtcc.com>, Michael Thomas writes:
> Isn't this problem self regulating? If sufficient things break
> with a single label, people will stop making themselves
> effectively unreachable, right?

The failure rate isn't going to be high enough for natural selection
to take effect.  Remember the protocols we use were designed to
work back when there was only a single flat namespace.  Simple
hostnames will appear to work fine for 99.999% of people.  It's
just when you get namespace collisions that there will be problems.

Unfortunately the nincompoops that decide to use tlds this way don't
have to pay the costs of cleaning up the mess they cause.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org