unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Mon Jun 20 03:08:05 UTC 2011

> The failure rate isn't going to be high enough for natural selection
> to take effect.  Remember the protocols we use were designed to
> work back when there was only a single flat namespace.  Simple
> hostnames will appear to work fine for 99.999% of people.  It's
> just when you get namespace collisions that there will be problems.

I would guess that most of these are going to be purchased simply to
prevent someone else from getting them and that most of them will never
actually be placed into production.  So it will basically just be a cash
cow for ICANN while people pay their $185K/pop "application fee" to snap
up a piece of real estate they don't want anyone else to have.