unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Jun 21 10:14:30 UTC 2011

On 21 Jun 2011, at 00:29, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> I will repeat my assertion.  There is no such thing as glue records
> for the nameservers at the top of the zone within the zone itself
> be they in-baliwick or not.  Glue records live in the parent zone
> and are there to avoid the catch 22 situation of needing the records
> to find the records.

I understand "in-bailiwick" to be a property of the name of a nameserver, independent of whether you are looking at the glue or authoritative NS RRs - it is not the same as "in-zone". In-bailiwick nameservers must have glue. But you said ''There is also no such thing as 'in-bailiwick glue for the TLD's DNS servers'.'' I think you are arguing about the meaning and location of glue, whereas I am arguing about the meaning of "in-bailiwick".

Tony.