IPv6 - a noobs prespective

James Harr james.harr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:30:53 UTC 2011

Really -- just go play with it. I started by setting up a
tunnelbroker.net account at home.

A majority of the packet slapping functionality of routers work just
fine. It's when you get into things like applications, load balancing,
NAT64/DNS64 where things start to get a little buggy. And you'll never
get to those things unless there's some basic IPv6 on your network
already.

At work, we started by deploying it across the routers, but not to any
end hosts. This way we can turn IPv6 on/off to specific end-host VLANs
without much effort. Currently, our techs and one enthusiastic end
user group have IPv6 and it seems to be running well. After the
basics, it's going through one application/service at a time and
getting it on IPv6.

--
^[:wq^M