IPv6 - a noobs prespective

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Tue Jun 14 16:44:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 03:00:27 -0800, Robert Lusby <nanogwp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am however *terrified* of making that move. There is so many new
> phrases, words, things to think about etc

You fears will significantly lower after you set up a separate lab and
play with it. With something as simple as a switch you can make a simple
IPv6-only network. Try to replicate your current network in the lab as
far as you can, using the "new" concepts and techniques and understand
the current state of the art (read that as RA+DHCPv6, etc.) Get your
pings right.

This will automatically get you to dual-stacking, as in "how do I make
both protocols work in the same physical network?". They just do. At
this point the problem stops belonging to the network infrastructure
and it passes on to the application servers and hosts.

(And ask your ISP to support IPv6).

Good luck.

--
Octavio.