question regarding multi-homing

Simon Chen simonchennj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 17:48:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM, William Herrin
<herrin-nanog at dirtside.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Simon Chen <simonchennj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a question regarding multi-homing, mostly from stub network's
>> operational point of view. My big question is: what kind of failures
>> do you usually see from your providers? Link down? Link up, but
>> withdraw some routes? Link up, no route change, but blackholing
>> partial or all traffic? Anything else?
>
> Two more failure modes:
>
> Link up, receiving all routes but provider stops propagating your
> announcement outward.
>
> Link up but unusably high packet loss to some or all destinations.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin
>

> --
> William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
> 3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>
> Falls Church, VA 22042-3004

Thank you all for the reply!
It seems to me that Cisco performance based routing and other
commercial solutions can probably handle the potential problems. How
about operators that deal with this on their own? Is there a standard
detection and recovery procedure? How long does it usually take, with
or without scripting?

Thanks!
-Simon