Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Sun Feb 5 05:47:16 UTC 2023

Once upon a time, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> said:
> I'd struggle to see how a 20kW generator struggles to to run a home,
> unless you've also got heated floors, saunas, steam baths, water and
> space heaters, electric stoves and ovens all running at the same
> time :-).

My house isn't very big, and I live alone (so less demand for hot water
for example), and I hit a peak demand of 15kW a couple of months ago
during a cold snap (I've seen it higher, maybe 16kW IIRC, just didn't
dig any deeper).  I probably took a hot shower while the heat was
running, but I didn't cook anything that day, which could easily pulled
another 1-2kW (oven, microwave, etc.).  And that's without any
water/septic pumps.

Electric heat pumps are great for power efficiency until the temperature
drops and they switch over to pure electric heat.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>