Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sun Feb 5 05:31:05 UTC 2023

On 2/5/23 07:02, Roy wrote:

> My all electric house is in a rural area.  The generator that came
> with the place is a 20KW Onan,  The bad news is in can't handle the
> house.  I think it is the Aux Heat on the heat pump that is the
> problem.  I have to also power the well pump and the septic pump.

Is your house single or 3-phase?

I'd be curious how much horsepower your well and septic pumps require.
The most I've seen is 15hp @ 11kW, but that is pretty massive for an
average home, even an off-grid one. Typical requirements would be in
0.75kW - 5kW range, which is a wide range.

Do you know how much power the heat pump requires?

I'd struggle to see how a 20kW generator struggles to to run a home,
unless you've also got heated floors, saunas, steam baths, water and
space heaters, electric stoves and ovens all running at the same time :-).

Mark.