Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Feb 3 17:53:55 UTC 2023

On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 at 16:15, Israel G. Lugo <israel.lugo at lugosys.com> wrote:

> Could anyone with last mile experience help with some ballpark figures?
> I.e. 15 min vs 8h or 8 days.

This would be highly market specific. In many cases, probably most
cases, there is no regulatory requirement for availability for
internet service whatsoever.

One specific case where it is regulated, Finland, the regulation is
available in Finnish, Swedish and English, the English document is
available at:
https://www.finlex.fi/data/normit/47143/05_Regulation_on_resilience_of_communications_networks_and_services_and_of_synchronisation_of_communications_networks.pdf

It classifies service to five priorities with different availability
requirements. From your ballpark, 8h would be the closest fit, but in
theory the higher priorities have indefinite availability before the
system is exhausted by means of generation.

In practice I would default to expecting 0 min availability during
power outage, regardless of how resilient my CPE is. We can scarcely
make the Internet work at the best of times.

--
  ++ytti