Backup DC power standardization with Photovoltiac battery systems?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Apr 18 06:41:26 UTC 2023

> If both PV battery walls and broadband CPE supported Power-Over-Ethernet as a
> backup power source, that would work too.  POE supports greater distances
> than USB-C.

I'd prefer broadband CPE (UL listed) with a standardized backup power
connector (doesn't exist, but I can dream).

For DIYers, building their own magic box to convert from their powerwall
to backup low-voltage small devices.  This was one of the few DIYers who
include appropriate fuses in their design.  Too many Youtube DIYers treat
low-voltage as harmless and don't include safety devices.

I've seen the after-effects of a few DC/Inverter plant meltdowns.  When I
used to visit IXPs and data centers, all of them seemed to have at least
one melted, metal wrench :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZzlF_NA6E
https://projectswithdave.com/48v-to-12v-dc-dc-converter-project-build/