[External] Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 16 20:56:19 UTC 2022

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:47 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Again, to make sure there is 100% clarity: we have consistently ended up settling with orders
> that recognize ARIN’s ability to operate the registry according to the community-developed
> policy, including the application of that policy to legacy address blocks. ARIN simply doesn’t
> settle absent those terms, as it is fundamental principle of our inception that this community
> can set the policies used to administer the registry for this region.

Bottom line:

* There is a status quo for ARIN's relationship with the legacy registrants.

* It hasn't materially changed since ARIN's inception a quarter century ago.

* ARIN has indicated no intention of changing it.

* Were ARIN's behavior to materially drift from the status quo, they
would be sued with an uncertain outcome.

You want to dispute that last item, we can go another ten rounds on
it, but what's the point? Nothing has changed since the last time we
debated on the PPML list: In 25 years no one has successfully induced
ARIN to act contrary to the status quo and in 25 years no one has
successfully challenged ARIN on the status quo.

Summarizing the status quo:

* ARIN continues to report the legacy registrations.

* Legacy registrants do not pay ARIN for anything associated with the
legacy registrations.

* Legacy registrants change POCs and RDNS servers associated with
legacy registrations at their pleasure.

* ARIN will not record a transfer of a legacy resource to another
registrant absent ARIN's current approved contracts.

* ARIN provides "new" services (developed after ARIN's inception) to
legacy registrants only where those services directly replace
functionality that has been retired. For example, the Web UI replaces
the old email forms so it's provided to legacy registrants but RPKI is
entirely new so it is not.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--