[External] Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 16 19:46:56 UTC 2022

> On 16 Sep 2022, at 3:21 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
>> instead consistently end up settling with orders that recognize ARIN’s
>> ability to operate  the registry according to the community-developed policy
>
> That's quite an overstatement. As far as I'm aware, with respect to
> the legacy registrations the only order any court ever made was that
> within the facts of that particular case, ARIN could refuse to
> -record- a transfer of registration absent a contract.

Bill –

What is “an IP address block assignment”?  i.e. what exactly are we talking about having rights to?
You talk about a transfer of something distinct from the registry entry, but don’t actually say what
that is...

We know what it is not – it not “the right to route a range of IP addresses on the Internet” – as ISPs
control their own routers (and at no time did any of them delegate some portion of control over
their network routing to USG/SRI/ISI/GSI/NSI/NetSol/ARIN…)

I’ll assert that an “IP address block assignment” (regardless of when made) was the issuance of a set
of rights to a specific entry in the registry database: e.g., the right to have your organization associated
with a range of numbers in the Internet number registry, the right to be able to update the relevant fields
of that entry (like contact info), and the right to transfer these rights to other parties in accordance with
registry policy.

Parties issued IP address blocks were given those rights to their particular IP address block entry in
the registry database, and that registry database was transferred to ARIN at our inception.  As such,
if you want an IP address block entry updated, it’s necessary to comply with ARIN’s policies as set
by this community.

Now you may believe the IP address blocks are something other than a limited set of rights to an
entry in the registry, and that’s just great.  I think you’ll find that nearly everyone who wants to buy
rights to an IP address block expects that the registry entry will be updated, and that the update of
the entry constitutes the transfer of the rights, but you should feel free to hawk something else if
you think folks will buy it.   Similarly, if you believe that you can transfer an “IP address block”
and somehow that gives you some legal authority over a portion of the ARIN registry, then you
should avail yourself of all appropriate legal means to enforce your purported rights and effect
that change.  (It’s not that people haven’t come up with such interesting theories before, rather
that they’ve never held up in court…)

Again, to make sure there is 100% clarity: we have consistently ended up settling with orders
that recognize ARIN’s ability to operate the registry according to the community-developed
policy, including the application of that policy to legacy address blocks. ARIN simply doesn’t
settle absent those terms, as it is fundamental principle of our inception that this community
can set the policies used to administer the registry for this region.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO