Router ID on IPv6-Only

Crist Clark cjc+nanog at pumpky.net
Fri Sep 9 06:27:01 UTC 2022

As I said in the original email, I realize router IDs just need to be
unique in
an AS. We could have done random ones with IPv4, but using a well chosen
address assigned to the router guarantees uniqueness as well as some
other useful
properties. I was wondering if people had some ways to do something
similar with
IPv6.

But I think the most notable thing from the handful of responses (and
thanks to
all that responded) was that no one piped up who is actually doing it. I
guess
most everything is still dual-stack.

And to get even a little more specific about our particular use case and
the
suggestion here to build the device location into the ID, we're
generally not
really talking about one ID per physical router here. I'm really talking
about
IPv6-only VRFs. The router (L3 switch, firewall, or whatever it may be)
may
have a mix of IPv6-only, IPv4-only, and dual-stack VRFs. I think
multiple VRFs
per device is no longer exotic configuration and closer to the norm.

And before anyone suggests borrowing IPv4 addresses from other VRFs to
use in
the IPv6-only VRFs, that was something we discounted right away for what
I think
are pretty obvious reasons.