Router ID on IPv6-Only

J. Hellenthal jhellenthal at dataix.net
Thu Sep 8 15:28:37 UTC 2022

Right!

Personally it just needs to be unique. Relying on a Id to be unique when ascociated to an IP address that may be used on a failover system seems really poor to me.

Assign a random ID and plug it into your IPAM!. If at anything assign a router ID to a rack location and associate every bit of information  about that location in whatever you're tracking management can provide.

Personally I prefer date originated generated numbers that allow me to filter upon such and spill out the results to tell me where its at what rack its in, slot number etc...

But then again this is from a failover system perspective...

BOL

--

J. Hellenthal

The fact that there's a highway to Hell but only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic volume.