Newbies Question: Do I really need to sacrifice Prefix-aggregation to do BGP Load-sharing?

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Thu Oct 20 14:49:02 UTC 2022

> 1) Are there any networks with routing policy that looks at prepends and
>     says "if we see a peering path with >X number of prepends (or maybe
>     just path length >X), demote the localpref to transit or lower"?  "i.e.
>     They obviously don't want us using this path, turn it into a backup
>     path."

Yes. At a previous job, this is exactly what I did. If the path length was
X or longer, set localpref to our last resort value. If path length was Y
or longer, then I dropped completely, and at that point following defaults
was just as good. Maybe once I hit something that caused a performance
problem , but an email to that AS was all it took to fix ; they didn't
realize they were prepending that much and corrected it.

I have firsthand knowledge of some other networks that do similar things.