[External] Open source tool for network map visualization

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Mon May 30 18:19:57 UTC 2022

On 27/05/2022 14:32, Tom Krenn via NANOG wrote:
> A little simple, but maybe Network Weathermap?
>
> https://www.network-weathermap.com/

With some tuning of your variables, it's really easy to automate a very
useful topographical network diagram from practically any source of
data. You do need to make sure that you think about that topography,
however. Do you care about individual links in a LAG? Or could you
aggregate those into a single link, with a click URL that 'drills down'
to another specific map for that router/data centre/metro?

My only bugbear would be that there's no 'easy' way to overlay it on a
world map *and* have the fidelity needed to view it all at a distance
(like on a NOC screen). The choices above would only go so far, and
you'd eventually find yourself with a lot of screens in the NOC just for
maps.

Something like a Google Earth overlay would be wonderful, but I never
found myself capable and/or with sufficient time to make that real.
Other (commercial) products have no doubt done something like that.

--
Tom