Juniper MX204 allow oversubscription?

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Mon May 16 17:02:46 UTC 2022

Hi all,
Hoping some Juniper-using folks know:
On the MX204, which comes with 4x100G + 8x10G ports, you can only use 3 of the 4 100G ports if you want to use any of the 10G ports at all.
Supposedly this is to prevent oversubscription on what is a 400G-rated router.  However, I’m perfectly fine with oversubscription with a 400G aggregate throughput cap.
Is there a way to stop the automatic “oh, I’ll disable these other ports for you so you don’t oversubscribe the box” behaviour and let all the front-panel ports be used at once?
-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[MERLIN]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
https://www.merlin.mb.ca<https://www.merlin.mb.ca/>
[cid:image002.png at 01D8691C.50B29030]Chat with me on Teams<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/chat/0/[email protected]>