10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec + Register Now for N85!

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue May 10 00:30:04 UTC 2022

Sun, May 08, 2022 at 02:28:56PM +0000, Laura Smith via NANOG:
> On Friday, May 6th, 2022 at 13:59, J EMail <70ford500 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > poutine should be on this list.
>

> God no !
> There are many great things about Canada and Québec .... but poutine most certainly is not. A culinary abomination that deserves to be confined to the history books.

The table linens were starchy white.  The cutlery gleamed.  The menus
were sumptuous.  My hosts and I, in one of the better restaurants in
the Netherlands, pored over the abundance that was on offer.  I made
my choice, a straightforward one: a steak.

"And how would you like that done, sir?" asked the somewhat severe waiter.

"Well done," I replied.

He looked blankly at me.

"That is not possible," he said.  "Choose something else.  Fish, perhaps."

Possibly the English accent was a give-away.  At least he had taken one
step back from "Fish and chips, perhaps."

Herein lies one of the great realities on this earth, one that this pompous
waiter and all too many in our world fail to grasp.  Beauty truly is in
the eye of the beholder.  What is nectar to one palate may truly seem as
poison to another.

To each his or her own.  And so in the world of food I dismay at the
invariable sneer that accompanies the words "British food."  It happens
all too often here in the US, a nation that of course have the world such
sophiscated dishes as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and the hamburger.

Dr. Charles Bamforth
Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: Reaching for the Soul of Beer and Brewing