V6 still not supported

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Wed Mar 23 18:53:38 UTC 2022

Michael Thomas wrote:

> SIP won't displace all legacy PSTN any time soon. So it's a failure by
> your definition. And by your definition IPv6 was a failure before it
> was even born because the internet became popular -- something I'll
> add that nobody knew for certain when it was being designed. There's a
> lot of sour grapes about stuff that happened 30 years ago.
>
> Mike

The definition of failure flows from the definition of the objective,
the goal, the desired outcome.

What is your understanding of those for IPv6?

My understanding of the goal of IPv6 was to replace IPv4 globally before
address shortage caused real problems. If we agree on that, we must also
agree that it has failed to do so, ergo, IPv6 as a global solution to
IPv4 address shortage has been and thus far continues to be a failure.
Now it will almost certainly eventually succeed, but that doesnt change
that for all this time, it failed and there were real consequences that
or may not carry on with us all for quite some time, and that there were
real costs involved to real people.

Joe