V6 still not supported

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Mar 23 17:21:15 UTC 2022

On 3/23/22 10:04 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:

> Michael Thomas wrote:

>>> Being in transition state indefinitely is not success.
>>>
>>> The other side is when you are v6 only and you dont notice. We arent
>>> there yet. Thats the failure.
>>>
>> This is a terrible way to look at things. SIP has been gradually been
>> taking over the PSTN signaling for 20 years. It has not rooted out
>> every SS7 installation on the planet and probably won't until I'm
>> long dead. Is that a failure? It's certainly a "transition state".
>> After not paying attention for probably a decade and seeing how much
>> it's penetrated I'd call that a resounding success. The same is true
>> of IPv6 with all of the mobile uptake. Legacy is hard. It always has
>> been hard. Calling something a failure because it doesn't instantly
>> defeat legacy a terrible take. It was always going to be difficult to
>> add address space to IP regardless of how it was done. All of the
>> bagging on IPv6 and imagining a better ipng ignores that basic fact.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> SIP wasnt formulated to save telephony. In fact sip has nearly 100%
> adoption for ip based telephony. It did displace legacy and
> proprietary protocols.
>
> There is no comparison. IPv6 transition was intended to complete
> before run out using Dual Stack. Fail.

SIP won't displace all legacy PSTN any time soon. So it's a failure by
your definition. And by your definition IPv6 was a failure before it was
even born because the internet became popular -- something I'll add that
nobody knew for certain when it was being designed. There's a lot of
sour grapes about stuff that happened 30 years ago.

Mike