V6 still not supported

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Mar 18 20:47:00 UTC 2022

On 3/18/22 1:31 PM, Nathan Angelacos wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-03-18 at 13:17 -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:
>> We weren't part of the wars. What I saw was what eventually became ipv6
>> and I remember talking to one of my coworkers about how hard he
>> thought it would be to implement. He concurred that he didn't think it
>> would be any big deal. One of our big issues is that we didn't have
>> anybody to interop with, that and nobody was asking for it unlike v4
>> features.
> Classic Second System Effect, as described by Fred Brooks... in 1975.
> "The Mythical Man-Month" is a great book for remembering how we got
> here.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-system_effect
>
> But as all you have said, here we are.

As far as second system goes, at least for the host side it didn't seem
overwrought to me. Part of the problem was that there were definitely
politics with DHCPv6 and maybe some other things that we getting
developed along side v6, but those were pretty easily overcome once the
will was there.

I'd really like to understand what the requirements that are specific to
v6 are that make it so much harder or bloated. Not product availability,
but actual things that make it difficult to deploy.

Mike