Not Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Mar 16 02:23:13 UTC 2022

> On 16 Mar 2022, at 02:54, Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>
> Having spent nearly 15 years on the ARIN Advisory Council, I think I’m able
> to claim some detailed knowledge on the subject.
>
> In general, the RIRs themselves maintain neutrality about such things, looking to their
> respective communities for input on what to do. However, so long as the IETF and
> has not designated the space Unicast Address Space to be delegated to the
> RIRs for allocation/assignment, IANA will not delegate it to the RIRs and the RIRs
> won’t, therefore, delegate it to users.
>
> If you really want to see this happen (and I still argue that the amount of effort already wasted
> discussing this idea vastly exceeds what would be needed towards IPv6 to get beyond
> caring about it), then the first step must be to convince the IETF to designate the
> space IPv4 Unicast and instruct the IANA to begin issuing those /8s to the RIRs.
>
> Once that happens, the rest of the allocation process is basically automatic. From a policy
> perspective at the RIR level, it will be no different than say 4/8 or 1/8.

Actually it would be fundamentally different to 4/8 or 1/8.  You are looking at firmware upgrades
rather than dealing with squatters and out-of-date ACLs both of which are self-inflicted by one
of the parties.  Routers and end devices that don’t know how to hand 240/4 are no self inflicted
injuries.  Issuing 4/8 or 1/8 worked for parties that had been following the rules.  With 240/4
there where no rules to follow which results in RIR’s leasing known defective addresses.