Not Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 15 15:54:23 UTC 2022

Having spent nearly 15 years on the ARIN Advisory Council, I think I’m able
to claim some detailed knowledge on the subject.

In general, the RIRs themselves maintain neutrality about such things, looking to their
respective communities for input on what to do. However, so long as the IETF and
has not designated the space Unicast Address Space to be delegated to the
RIRs for allocation/assignment, IANA will not delegate it to the RIRs and the RIRs
won’t, therefore, delegate it to users.

If you really want to see this happen (and I still argue that the amount of effort already wasted
discussing this idea vastly exceeds what would be needed towards IPv6 to get beyond
caring about it), then the first step must be to convince the IETF to designate the
space IPv4 Unicast and instruct the IANA to begin issuing those /8s to the RIRs.

Once that happens, the rest of the allocation process is basically automatic. From a policy
perspective at the RIR level, it will be no different than say 4/8 or 1/8.

Now, convincing vendors to update their firmware, software, etc. is another matter
and entirely outside of the control of the RIRs. Merchant compliance with IETF standards
is generally considered useful, but it is entirely voluntary and even in the best of
circumstances doesn’t every happen instantaneously and almost always involves
some stumbles along the way.

Owen