Cogent cutting links to Russia?

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Mon Mar 7 13:45:39 UTC 2022

> However, it could also be that given the quick rise in cyber warfare that
> they do not want to be caught in the crossfire and carrying and dealing
> with the loads of DDOS and pure hacking attempts going in both directions.
> The burden of dealing with this as well as payment issues and maybe for
> purely ethical issues of dealing with a proven lying dictatorship may have
> been the full motivation.

This again is a slippery , and dangerous slope.

Every network carries traffic that somebody somewhere finds
'objectionable'. If providers start making their own determinations about
what is and isn't 'ok', it's a road to massive segmentation and
separation of the internet. Already a road some countries have been going
down, which is bad enough.

( I am not implying that this is why Cogent made the choice they did.)