Russia to disconnect from global Internet

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Mar 7 08:45:08 UTC 2022

> On Mar 7, 2022, at 9:02 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2022 at 11:49:54PM +0100,
> Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote
> a message of 62 lines which said:
>
>> This applies exclusively to Russian federal government networks, not
>> ISPs or telecom operators.  It’s just trying to get them to document
>> and harmonize their practices isn perfectly reasonable ways,
>
> And I assume that not *one* domain under .gov has name servers in
> foreign TLDs and not *one* Web site using .gov loads resources (fonts,
> stylesheets, code, etc) from a non-US service.
> And yet noone says that the USA are disconnecting from the Internet.

The “disconnecting from the Internet” propaganda meme is one of the most annoying US ones.  They’ve been doing it at least since Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State, possibly earlier.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/20/brazil-internet-dilmarousseffnsa.html

Iran was tarred with the same brush when they managed the diplomatic and logistic feat of building a _terrestrial_ cable all the way to Frankfurt.

                                -Bill