Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities

J. Hellenthal jhellenthal at DataIX.net
Mon Jun 20 14:38:56 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 02:47:27PM +0200, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> J.,
>
> > On 2022-06-20, at 14:14, J. Hellenthal <jhellenthal at dataix.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah that's another thing, "research" cause you need to learn it let's have them do it too, multiply that by every university \o/

No no not saying there wasnt. Research is needed for sure and education
is very important. But the fact of most matters stand in that area where
some code may not exactly be up to par from "some students" and still
exaust itself on the public internet of things where little real
oversight actually happens from its origin until it has already impacted
multiple destinations that did not ask for it.

Definately did sign up for it! and with all the proper checks and
balances, can handle them appropriately at 2am when when N students have
been asleep letting their code run wild.

Sorry not picking on "you/this" in particular on your part. It's just
not all of them are exactly up to par while following what they believe
are best practices governed by an instructor(not you) that deems it
benign where I have found some instructors/educators have very little
knowledge in the field whatsoever beyond a textbook and a home
computer/lab. I look forward to the school years to begin, it brings a
challenge where traffic from skids drops between certain hours in
different countries and the detection begins for advertisement scanners
and real threats.

Noise is cool, it gives pretty results where the ugly of the networks
typically just annoy you. Not cool when its amplified by N number of
whatever (advertising/company/students) like a udp amplification attack
but initiated by india.edu, america.edu, X.edu all at the wrong time.

Anyway I retract

Happy fathers day yesterday and hope all your're weekends have been
great.