[Story] When IPv6 Fixes IPv4 Peering Issues

Brie bruns at 2mbit.com
Mon Jun 13 19:07:17 UTC 2022

On 6/13/22 12:22 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022, Brie wrote:
>
>> Who knows...  Hard to know if I'm taking a different network path or
>> just going through the same routers but bypassing whatever is blocking
>> the packets.
>
> You might be able to infer that from the hops that show up in traceroutes.

So, I was looking at that, and the lack of rdns on many IPv6 hops is...
aggravating.  CL/Lumen does embed ipv4 addresses in some of their IPv6
router addresses, but not all.

So, not really enough to determine really if I am, unfortunately.

>> I went so far as to even randomize source/dest ports on each end in
>> case it was some sort of misguided filtering (ie:  port 12345 -> 54321
>> instead of 12345 -> 12345).
>
> That really makes it odd.  If you tried changing the src/dst ports with
> v4, and your VPN traffic still would not pass, but iperf would, what
> kind of filtering/breakage could CL or Comcast have that would just stop
> your VPN traffic regardless of ports?
>
> I wonder if this is a misguided/misbhaving filter rule, or something
> actually broken eating your packets.  Having dealt with something far
> stranger many years ago, I totally get the aspects of "big telco can't
> help / won't let you even talk to someone who can understand your
> explanation of the issue" and "I don't care how I solve this, as long as
> I can make the issue go away."

One thing I did not think about before reading your response, was the
size of the UDP packets.  Its possible something's blocking UDP packets
below a certain size.

iPerf is going to send packets of a consistent size for testing, whereas
WG is likely to have varying sizes depending on contents of packets.

Maybe I need to do some testing with varying packet sizes.

>   Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
>   StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are

Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org