Upstream bandwidth usage

Karsten Thomann karsten_thomann at linfre.de
Sat Jun 11 20:20:14 UTC 2022

On Friday, 10 June 2022 10:15:15 CEST Chris Hills wrote:
> On 10/06/2022 00:31, Mel Beckman wrote:
> > Your point on asymmetrical technologies is excellent. But you may not be
> > aware that residential optical fiber is also asymmetrical. For example,
> > GPON, the latest ITU specified PON standard, and the most widely
> > deployed, calls for a 2.4 Gbps downstream and a 1.25 Gbps upstream
> > optical line rate.
> Not all residential fiber is asymmetric. Nokia XGS-PON supports 9.953
> Tx/Rx (e.g. LTF7226 transceiver).
XGS-PON isn't Nokia specific and can be bought from many other vendors.
Even as probably no one is deploying XG-PON in new deployments (10/2.5G), I
don't believe ISP start selling symmetrical services to residential customers
as a standard, even if the PON itself is symmetrical.
I know you can get from many providers a symmetrical service on G-PON, but
that is an option, not the default.

Does anyone know the Asian market where they are using E-PON?
After my very short search it seems they provide best effort up to 1G without
any real plans...